Update: The 8th graders have spoken and the results are in! The 8th grade dance will remain the same night as Class Night which is June 20th, 2018! Check back here for more details as the event comes closer!
8th Grade “Graduation Dance” voting experience will be held on December 6th during your 8th grader’s history class with Mr. Maloney.
10/24/2017 PTA Meeting Minutes
- 8th Grade Voting Event (proposed to Dr. Fogas. HAS PTA approved. Pending date to be added to the calendar.)
- Idea is to use the official voting machines from the Union County Board of Elections.
- We all have the common vision that the 8th graders should determine how they want to celebrate at least some aspect of their final year at HAS. The 8th grade sub-committee believes this is a great opportunity for the students to do just that; voice their opinion and experience what it is like to vote in an actual voting booth.
- The Union County Board of Elections have been contacted and they are more than happy to provide the voting machine and poll workers at no cost.
- The cost to print the ballot will be somewhere between $150-$200.
- The HAS PTA has agreed for the cost to be taken from the “8th Grade Social Event” budget line.
- The ballot would say: WHEN DO YOU WANT YOUR 8TH GRADE DANCE? A) The night of graduation, immediately following the ceremony OR B) On a different night before graduation (most likely in the Spring)
- Students must choose either Option A or Option B.
- Mr. Maloney has agreed to hold the vote during his class since that would provide every 8th grader with the chance to participate.
- There will be a very brief slideshow presentation by Mr. Maloney so the students understand exactly what their last year at HAS has in store for them. The link to the slideshow is here: https://docs.google.com/
presentation/d/1sDk-J_7pWM0tx- LCHl_XtKqSJ8XZAp99rUqR-hPViQU/ edit?usp=sharing
- The results will be available about 10 minutes after the last students vote.
- Majority will dictate when the PTA will have the 8th Grade Dance.
- The 8th Grade Sub Committee of the Middle School Committee will be planning two events for the 8th Grade this year:
- An 8th Grade Dance that either happens the day of the “graduation” (on June 20th) or another night (preferably in the spring).
- 8th Grade Pool Party on the night of June 8th.
- On June 20th, the 8th graders will have their graduation ceremony, followed by a reception where families and students can watch their slideshow, take pictures and have some light refreshments. This will happen whether the 8th Grade Dance is on June 20th or a night in the spring.
A message from Mr Maloney (non-pta events):
The Pretzel Sales are back…….
Pretzels will be sold for $1.00 on the following Thursdays:
10/12, (Friday) 10/27, 11/2, 11/16, 11/30, 12/14, 1/4, 1/18, 2/1, 2/15, 3/1, 3/15, 4/12.
Proceeds go to the Washington, DC trip.
There will be a informational meeting for 8th Grade Parents about the Washington, D.C. trip on Tuesday October 17th, 7:00 p.m. in the Cafeteria. This meeting is for all parents. Topics will include information, fundraisers, and chaperone information about the Washington, D.C. trip.
Information about the Yankee Candle and Gertrude Hawke fundraisers will be available in Social Studies class on Monday October 16th.
Minutes from 10/4/2017
- A student survey was created to let them decide what they want for Class Night.
- Grade Reps will be reviewing the survey with Dr. Fogas.
- Grade Reps will be presenting a proposal to Dr. Fogas and Mr. Maloney to use the Union County Voting Machines to determine the outcome of the survey. Hoping the voting process can be incorporated into a civics lesson in Mr. Maloney’s class.
- Once the vote is completed, the committee will move forward with planning the dance.
Please sign up for 8th Grade Pretzels – not a PTA event!
We need help selling pretzels to help raise money for our 8th grade trip! Sales begin at 2:50pm sharp! and last until about 3:30. Please contact MaryKate with any questions/concerns (firstname.lastname@example.org)
9/18/2017 PTA Meeting Minutes
- Grade Reps are Jana Battiloro (email@example.com) and MaryKate Santulli (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Discussion on keeping Class Night and Graduation Dance on the same night (6/20/18) or having Graduation on 6/20/18 and the dance another night.
- Create a simple, non-biased survey to be taken by all 8th graders to determine whether they would like to have a dance after graduation or another night.
- The sub-committee will be responsible for distributing the surveys and tallying the votes.
- The sub-committee will honor the results of the survey.
- Have a “Mardi Gras” themed dance sometime in the winter – or have the students vote on a themed dance.
- 8th Grade Pool Party is June 8th from 7:30 – 10:00pm. Pool has been reserved.
- Budget for 8th Grade Events (approved at the Open PTA Meeting on 9/18/17):
- Class Night (as it stands today) – $1800
- Pool Party – $1500
- Social Event – $1000
The next meeting of the 8th Grade Middle School Sub-Committee will be on Wednesday, October 4th at 7pm at Terri Hecht’s house. Please contact your grade rep for more information.